18 Apr 2007

Who designed the Optima?

The father of the Optima ligneage is Akira KOGAWA.
He was engaged by Kyosho when he was 18 and his first design was the Blizzard.
He is the designer of most of my beloved Kyosho cars, the Optimas of course, but also the Ultima (1st gen), the Mids, the Scorpions and Tomahawk (dunno if he did also the gas-powered Assault and Advance), the Maxxum FF and the on-road Plazma and Fantom. His last work for Kyosho is supposed to be the Maxxum and the Burns (dunno if he did the Stinger series neither...).

Mr. KOGAWA moved to the USA in 1988 hired by HPI (4 people at that time), and is now the head senior designer of the R&D department by HPI Racing USA, and codesigned the original RS4, totally designed the Micro-RS4, his latest work to date being the already famous Baja 5B, a buggy ressembling the Ultima and the Turbo Scorpion mixed together, but at scale 1/5...


What impressed me is that he actually designed the Optima when he was 23 and the scorpion at 20!!! he's a GOD for me!!!

Please note that I wrote his age next to each of his designs in the little black triangle.

4 comments:

Cyril said...

Now I know why I'm not a fan of the Salute and the Mid Custom Special...
Thanks for those great infos, and definitely a must-see blog.

optimaforever said...

Indeed, Salute and Op Mid Custom Special seem to have been designed (at least the body) by another designer... the Lazers too...

// Tobbe said...

Wonderful post - thx for posting! :)

madweazl said...

The Turbo Optima Mid SE is what got me involved in the hobby. Cant remember where I saw it first but I just had to have one. It took another 25 years but I finally managed to pick one up! Thanks for the bit of history.